Kim Moy
UX Strategy and Design
turquoise.png

T Brand Studio Design System

T Brand Studio needed to scale the production process for branded content. Based on research I conducted, we focused on building a design system specifically for paid posts. I led the strategy for the creation of repeatable components and layouts to make the design and development workflow easier and faster.

  Project Duration  April 2016 – Ongoing   My Contributions  User research, interaction design, project management, content strategy

Project Duration
April 2016 – Ongoing

My Contributions
User research, interaction design, project management, content strategy

Process

Process

Research and Strategy
I audited the inventory of previous posts and created a glossary of components, which established a common language that improved communication across teams. Stakeholder interviews helped me to understand business goals as well as team needs and pain points in the existing process. 

Based on my research, I developed a strategy for a more streamlined workflow. Designers needed to better understand the constraints and possible customizations for common components to build simple posts more quickly. A design system was essential. I worked closely with the design and dev teams – the primary users – to create, test, and implement the system.

 I also helped to establish best practices for the interaction behavior of components, drawing on qualitative and quantitative research from past posts. As a strong advocate for content-based decision-making, I outlined a content strategy for layout templates, highlighting the types of stories most effectively told through those formats. In its early phases, I also managed the project, tracking goals and deadlines.    Challenges  *Many stakeholders *Determining scope (number of components and customizations) *Limited resources *Team alignment and turnover

I also helped to establish best practices for the interaction behavior of components, drawing on qualitative and quantitative research from past posts. As a strong advocate for content-based decision-making, I outlined a content strategy for layout templates, highlighting the types of stories most effectively told through those formats. In its early phases, I also managed the project, tracking goals and deadlines. 

Challenges
*Many stakeholders
*Determining scope (number of components and customizations)
*Limited resources
*Team alignment and turnover

Conclusion

Conclusion

Designers are able to produce posts more quickly and easily, and place high value on the new system.

Designers have provided positive feedback, saying that the library of components makes their design process easier and has significantly sped up their process. Developers are now able to build the components in a repeatable way. With time saved in the production process, we are able to produce more content and refocus our efforts on developing a strong content strategy for each post. 

Next Steps
This project continues to evolve. As we move components into code, I am ensuring we collect data that will help us to evaluate user engagement with our content. 

Future plans include improving how the editorial part of the workflow is incorporated into the process. We are continuing to evaluate metrics on posts built using the design system, simplifying and improving components, and developing new layout templates.